The 175 doctors named the best eye doctors in the United States plus 10 other ophthalmology updates Becker’s reported in September:
1. Here is a list of the top five highest paying states for ophthalmologists, according to a report by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
2. Optometry was ranked the second best job in the United States in 2022, according to Indeed.
3. From New York to California, 175 optometrists and ophthalmologists have been named America’s Top Eye Doctors for 2022 by Newsweek.
4. Ophthalmologist Craig Morgan, MD, and Eye Consultants of Huntington (W.Va) have paid $907,075 to resolve allegations that they submitted false Medicare and Medicaid claims.
5. These eye clinics in Boca Raton, Florida, and Blaine, Minnesota, were named Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Healthcare for 2022.
6. The American Academy of Ophthalmology submitted comments to CMS regarding the proposed changes, calling for increased oversight, reform of prior authorization procedures, step therapy and medical records requests.
7. Vial Ophthalmology has added Paul Karpecki, OD, to its Scientific Advisory Board as part of an ongoing expansion.
8. Johnson & Johnson Vision Care has launched its new Acuvue Oasys Max 1 day contact lenses, designed with TearStable technology and OptiBlue, a blue light filtering technology.
9. The House voted to reform prior authorization in the Medicare Advantage program, and the American Academy of Ophthalmology urged the Senate to move the legislation forward quickly.
10. Entrepreneur Daryl Geweke has donated $4 million to the UC Davis Health Eye Center, based in Sacramento, Calif., so that two ophthalmology professors can continue their research into the treatment of glaucoma.
11. The Connecticut Medical Examining Board fined ophthalmologist Duane Austin, MD $40,000 for failing to ensure that four patients received the correct implant during cataract surgery.