How To Deal With Mold After Southern Tablelands Weather | Goulburn post

news, mold, damp, flooding, goulburn, southern uplands, how to clean mold

After heavy rains and flash floods, conditions are perfect for a pesky household intruder. Mold. If water has leaked into your home or things just seem wetter than usual due to dampness, it’s important to keep an eye out for mold. While some may have struggled with mold for years, the severe weather event saw even the driest properties inundated with rain. Read more: Bad forecast blamed for lack of helicopters A local Goulburn resident returned home last week to find her carpets wet after leaving the house locked up for a few weeks. “I’ve lived in Goulburn for over 40 years and I’ve never had dampness in my house,” she said. If you find yourself in a similar situation, here’s what you can do to kill mold. is mold? According to NSW Health, mold is one of a very common group of organisms called fungi which also include fungi and yeasts. It is present almost everywhere, inside and outside. Mold can grow indoors in damp or damp areas that lack ventilation, including walls/wallpaper, ceilings, bathroom tiles, carpets (especially those with a jute backing ), insulation materials and wood. There are many different types of mold and they all have the potential to cause health problems. How can this impact your health? Health effects of mold exposure include a runny or stuffy nose, eye and skin irritation, and sometimes wheezing. Other symptoms of prolonged exposure include extreme fatigue, depression, muscle and joint pain, inability to sleep, and brain fog. st GP Sandeep Gupta shared in an interview with the ABC. Very rarely, people can develop a serious mold infection, usually in the lungs. NSW Health says it’s important to note that most people will not experience any health problems from coming into contact with small amounts of mould. However, if you are experiencing mold related systems you should consult your GP. Who is most at risk? You should especially avoid contact with mold if you suffer from asthma, allergies or other respiratory problems. For people with asthma, inhaling mold spores can cause an asthma attack. People with weakened immune systems and chronic lung diseases are most at risk of mold infection. Read more: TV flood appeal raises over $25 million How can you get rid of mold? There are three key areas to focus on when trying to get rid of mold: ventilation, humidity, and moisture. Maintain adequate ventilation Reduce humidity Control humidity / dampness NSW Health has also explained how to clean mold. If you are renting out your home and have taken steps to ensure the building is properly ventilated and mold continues to grow, you should raise the issue with the landlord or realtor. Tenants wishing to obtain further information about their rights and responsibilities can contact NSW Fair Trading on 13 32 20. Social housing tenants should call the Housing Contact Center on 1800 422 322. We depend on subscription income to support our journalism . If you can, please register here. If you are already subscribed, thank you for your support. Did you know the Goulburn Post now offers news alerts and a daily email newsletter? Keep up to date with all the local news: subscribe below.

/images/transformer/v1/crop/frm/166845910/0ca897bf-153e-45dc-8b1a-e436768ebfdd.jpg/r0_40_1014_613_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

About Marion Alexander

Check Also

HHF Celebrates Program Helping Underserved Children Receive Eye Exams and Spectacles

HOUSTON – The Houston Health Foundation celebrates Aramco Americas’ visionary leadership and support of its …